Safety is a big reason for people to avoid walking alone. It is a very good reason — your risk of stranger attack is greatly reduced by walking with a partner, a dog, during the day, and when you are alert and aware of your surroundings.Here are some basic tips for you to follow.
What to do:
- Let Others Know: Always leave notice of where you are going and when you are expected to return with a family member, friend, coworker or anyone you have daily contact with.
- Cell Phone: Carry a cell phone. While a phone is a vital deterrent to an attack, I have seen far to many times that they are used incorrectly. If your alone, especially at night, and not to many people are around, Stay off your social networking sites, stop surfing the web, and definelty dont be listening to music or videos with headphones on. Keep the phone in your hand and visible, and if your worried have it unlocked and your finger on speed dial. You can also pretend to talk on the phone while keeping an eye out for your surroundings.
- Dog: Walk with a dog. Bad people would rather victimize somebody who doesn’t have a dog likely to make noise or attack them.
- Weapons: I don’t promote carrying a weapon but there are times when you might have to, for example Pepper Spray. Be sure you have it readily available and that you are well versed in using it. Don’t forget your environment can also provide you with weapons, you just need to be aware of them. Imagine everything you carry on you on a normal day that could be improvised, Keys, purse, umbrella, school books, hot coffee, the list goes on and on.
- Calling for help: Similar to the above point #2, if someone is following you or threatening your life and you have a chance to call for help DO IT. Call a call 911.